Sunday, March 29, 2009

PSW Boston wrap up

My apologies for not updating the blog more while in Boston. I was so exhausted everyday. Here's a quick recap:

My flight to Boston was quick and smooth. I landed at 4:20PM and was checked into my room by 5:00PM Monday. I met up with some friends for dinner and drinks and hit the town for some long exposure night shooting. Thanks to Jeff and Brian for planning the walk. It was blistering cold. Boston is perfect for night shooting.

Tuesday morning I woke up, got some Starbucks coffee and oatmeal, showered and attended the Canon Live Shoot. It was a one day seminar to learn studio lighting and portrait post processing. It was a bit of a disappointment. I did learn a bit from the lighting theory lecture but the hands on was pretty dull. I met up with some NAPP Forum friends at the Cheesecake Factory. I got to finally meet some really cool people: Harold, Mike Hoffman, Firgs, Roux, Dave, Michael Green, and Larry Becker. We then all went to the Hotel Lounge for the Forum party. I got to meet Dave Ziser and Vinelli. Dave Ziser is a famous wedding photographer and Vinelli is a NAPP staffer that is just as nice and fun as can be.

Wednesday was the first day of classes which was kicked off with a keynote speech and the opening ceremonies. Really funny stuff. I was shocked but thrilled to find out that one of my shots from the Canon Live Shoot was selected as one of the top 5. I attended some classes and visited the Expo where I was in Heaven! All the new photography and Photoshop gear and software was on display and for sale. Let's just say my wallet came back lighter and my suitcase heavier. Wednesday night was the After Hours Party. Kelby and the gang played some covers (they were actually really good) and we had some food and drinks.

Thursday was the longest day for classes. It started out with Joe McNally's class. Truly inspring! His images are what I inspire to make. After all the classes, a dozen or so hit the streets again for another photowalk. It was a lot warmer but raining. I returned to the hotel early and watched my Duke Bluedevils get eliminated from March Madness. :(

Friday was a light day. Got to sleep in until 8 and only had 3 or 4 classes. Attended the closing ceremonies and was ready to get my luggage and head to the airport......until I discovered my flight was delayed 2 hours. So a few of us went to dinner. Finally got to the airport and flew back home. I arrived in Newport News but my luggage was still in Boston. Didn't get it back until Saturday night. I came home Friday night exhausted but was surprised by my awesome wife. While I was gone, Michele cleared out our garage and converted it to a studio. I was speechless.

I had a great time in Boston. The city was charming and very photographic. The people were great. I got to meet some of my NAPP friends and most of all I came back inspired!

I'll post a few of my images from PSW and Boston soon.

No comments: